- This event has passed.
The Sunday Service Family Day @ Pontefract Racecourse
August 20 @ 11:30 am
1st race 2.15pm, gates open 11.30am
Sunday race days have always been extra special for Pontefract Race goers.
Our renowned Sunday fixtures not only feature the best racing of the year at Pontefract with over £100,000 worth of Prize Money available at each meeting, but they are also the 3 fixtures each season dedicated to families.
As well as special events on each Sunday race day, there will also be a funfair, face painting, circus, free sweets, activity packs and race cards for kids, pony rides, trips to the starts of races and a ‘Hunt The Golden Horseshoe’ competition on every Family Day!
Our final Family Day of 2017 will be run for the first time as The Sunday Service Race day!
We are setting up zones around the Enclosures to offer race goers the chance to engage with and learn a little more about different parts of the industry:
- The jockey zone – pre register for an ex- jockeys take on how to ride Ponte. Walk the last 6 furlongs at 11.30am (numbers limited)
- The industry zone – Behind the Scenes Tour in the Weighing Room from 12.30pm – 12.45pm
- The horse zone – Join the ex racehorses and vets during a parade of ex racers from 12.45pm – 1pm
- The quiet zone – Enjoy a free tea or coffee with us while you read the Racing Post and sort out your selections. Peace and quiet between 12.30pm and 1pm in the Betting Hall
- The newcomers zone – Meet our ‘Here to Help’ team who’ll show you around and explain how an afternoon at the races works. Join us on the Marquee Site – 1.00pm
- The tipster zone – Listen to the expert Punters Panel in the Winners Enclosure at 1.30pm
- The kids zone (Sunday School!) – Get the kids involved with the live demonstrations of horse handling and care. Watch them enjoy the Interactive Kids zone throughout the afternoon in the Picnic Enclosure.
- The highlight of our final Family Day of 2017 is the Highfield Farm Flying Fillies Listed race and you’ll be seeing some very speedy equine ladies. Mehronissa was stunning in 2016 – who’ll follow in her hoofprints?